Monday, July 3, 2017

A SUMMERY DAY FOR MY DOGGY AT CAP-SAINT-JACQUES




It was the Canada day weekend - a perfect July 3rd sunny day to take my dog Zak to one of my favourite nearby  nature getaways: Cap-Saint-Jacques. It is one of three Quebec parks that allows you to stroll with your dog on a 5- plus kilometre walk. Greeting me at reception was Alexander, and though he was so nice to me, it was Zak who stole his heart. Nothing like a  cute little dog to make everyone smile.






 The park provides a harmonious setting for dog and owner to bond in boundless nature amidst beautiful birdsong and bucolic waters around the circular perimeters.

I saw Rivièrie de la Prairie, Lake of Two Mountains, Oka and Ile Bizard. Water everywhere and unfortunately the recent catastrophe in this region showed itself as I rounded curves of land bordering the water where I saw bushes in water.





Walking along the path sheltered by forest, I bumped into Charles, a man in love with his boxer-mastiff dog, Minion who towered over my little maltese-lasa apso mix dog. 






Together, we romped through forest and ventured along the water where Minion delighted in cooling himself off.

We also headed to the Cap’s farm and passed the horses, a chicken coup and the sheep that lazed inside a big barn. A gorgeous greenhouse and fields offered pastoral vistas.
Nature here is gentle with wild flowers dressing up fields and the paths we strolled along. I saw a cardinal, an oriole and a cat as we approached the barn. Zak wanted to play with it.







  
Much land here is dedicated to growing organic vegetables.
I entered into the little store selling some organic produce along with maple syrup. 







                                                                                                         Charles told me that three weeks ago, aside from the fox he saw. three cumbersome coyotes surrounded him.  Scary! That, in effect, is why I insisted Charles come with me for the rest of my walk. He has a long stick, but we saw no coyotes today. I was lucky to bump into Minion and Charles, for I was really quite alone as I started my stroll. What was to be an hour sauntering into nature turned into three. It was a day of surprises and enjoyment. Zak and I were most happy gazing out to the fields of flowers.




 
I will return to explore the beach here and maybe even screw up my courage to do some kayaking.

Tourists need not drive to the Laurentians to immerse themselves in nature that is only a 30-minute drive from downtown. Cap Saint-Jacques is kind of addictive and its terrain invites you to explore it on foot, skis, snowshoes and bike. What more could you ask for? Come on folks, it’s summer and this place is the perfect area to saunter into to enjoy oodles of varied vistas as the sun shines down. 

The website is: www.ville.montreal.qc.ca/grandsparcs 

Click here to read about my skiing in the park



No comments:

Post a Comment